Download our blog’s APP from Google Playstore using the link here>>>
Projects Finance Officer
Closing date: February 10, 2022
Reports To: Deputy Finance Manager – Projects
Length of Contract: 2 years
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners, people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
CRS has worked in Kenya since 1965. Over the years, CRS’ focus shifted from direct relief and food distributions to a comprehensive development program that works with partners and enhances local capacity. CRS Kenya programs now support children affected by HIV and community-based efforts to increase household incomes, improve family health and sanitation, and enha nce agriculture livelihoods.
The Finance Officer – Projects will help coordinate and contribute to the implementation of the projects/grants policies and procedures in compliance with CRS’ established accounting standards, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), donors’ rules and regulations, and legal requirements to support high-quality programs serving the poor and vulnerable. The incumbent will efficiently perform accounting services through documenting the project/grant financial transactions by compiling, analyzing, and verifying account information, preparing account entries, and delivering financial reporting services throughout the project/grant life cycle.
- Carry out partner assessments and monitoring as detailed in the SRFM Policy for the assigned partners including preparation of assessment and monitoring reports highlighting capacity building needs or other areas that require management’s attention.
- Review and validate supporting documentation before processing of financial transactions to ensure all required documents are accurate and complete and authorizations are in place.
- Ensure setup and maintenance of all data required for processing financial transactions for assigned accounts in Oracle ERP Insight financial accounting package.
- Record financial transactions following appropriate authorizations. Review and analyze various accounts to detect irregularities. Advise on corrective actions and prepare correcting entries and adjustments, as necessary.
- Support in the preparation of and analysis of donor reports and other financial reports for various internal and external stakeholders.
- Support in the budget preparation including review of new project proposals for internal & external submission.
- Prepare, monitor, alert the program manager, facilitate, and manage the process of closing expiring grants within the ninety (90) days period as required in the grants closure period.
- Ensure the integrity and quality of the data in the CPs Project financial database including and not limited reviewing, analysis of various account and alert relevant staff of any irregularities.
- Support in the preparation of the monthly Budget Comparison Reports (BCR) and Inception to date reports (ITD), respond to any queries from programs relating to the BCR report. In addition, preparation of finance indicators reports on monthly basis alert management on any exceptions and make recommendations as appropriate.
- Gateway Support for Kenya and Somalia ensuring timely uploading of subrecipients assessment & monitoring reports and updating of the relationship monitoring schedules as appropriate.
- Monitor disbursement/receipt schedules, alert relevant staff of due payments/liquidations, and maintain appropriate communication and follow-up to facilitate timeliness of financial resource management.
- Provide technical assistance and capacity building for staff and partners, including interpretation of policies, setting up of systems, trouble shooting and resolution of outstanding issues.
- Evaluate and monitor subrecipient financial management processes in accordance with policy and strengthen capacity of partner in financial accounting and transactions.
- Prepare various, periodic, and ad hoc financial reports, as needed, and perform variance analyses to assist with decision-making and proper management of financial resources.
- Provide information to subrecipients and staff on financial accounting policies and procedural compliance issues and contribute to capacity strengthening.
- Perform assigned treasury (cash payment/receipt, cash forecast, etc.) duties, as long as segregation of duties is ensured.
Travel Required At least 40% of time
- Excellent analytical skills with ability to detect and report inconsistencies
- Conscientious, accurate and thorough with great attention to detail
- Ethical conduct in accordance with recognized professional and organizational codes of ethics
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results-oriented
- Teamwork and ability to work collaboratively
- Familiarity with the relevant public donors’ regulations a plus.
- Proficient in Excel and experience with Word and PowerPoint. Knowledge of Oracle Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Accounting package or similar financial reporting software is a plus.
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Finance Manager, Deputy Finance Manager, Finance Staff, Project Managers, and Officers
External: Partner finance & staff, public donors & representatives
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
- B.A. degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business Administration with courses in accounting, or a qualification in accounting (CPA/ACCA or equivalent).
- Minimum of three years experience in a position with similar responsibilities, preferably with an international or local NGO, or a financial/banking institution.
- Knowledge of the relevant public donor regulations is preferred.
- Proficient in MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications. Knowledge of Oracle ERP financial accounting package or similar financial reporting software preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to respect, equity, diversity, and inclusion including gender equality.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
What we offer:
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
*Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS Kenya strives to be a place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come and work, stay, and do their best.
CRS provides equal employment opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants for employment and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, sex, age, marital status, physical or mental disability or handicap, medical condition and any other status protected by law. As an equal opportunity employer, CRS will recruit, hire, train and promote persons solely on their qualifications and abilities.
*By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.*
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.