Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded Vector Control Task Order 1. Task Order 1 will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria.
Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world.
Under this contract, Abt will implement entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 24 African countries where malaria is endemic.
Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
The PMI VectorLink Kenya Project is led by Abt Associates, an international development organization composed of dedicated professionals who provide technical assistance, research, analysis, and practical training services in more than 128 countries.
The PMI VectorLink Kenya Project seeks candidates to assist in implementing in six sub counties (Rongo, Awendo, Uriri, Suna East, Suna West and Nyatike) in Migori and Eight Sub- counties (Rangwe, Homa Bay Township, Ndhiwa, Suba North, Rachuonyo North, Rachuonyo East, Rachuonyo South and Suba South) in Homa Bay county Kenya in the following temporary positions:
Position: County Finance Assistant
Supervisor: Country Finance and Administration Manager
Location: Migori and Homa Bay Counties, Kenya
No Required: 2 (1 Migori and 1 Homa Bay)
Overall Purpose: The major purpose is to support the Country Finance and Administration Manager in collecting the required information from county sites for processing payment of sub-county spraying staff in addition to observing proper accounting procedures, systems and internal controls in Sub-county field stations.
- Assist in developing a database of all field staff involved in the county spraying
- Ensuring that the daily work logs are completed and submitted by team leaders and supervisors.
- Obtains and maintains personal information from all county spray teams which is used in administering their pay e.g. ID number, telephone numbers, etc.
- Compile team member payroll data and other records to ensure the timely and accurate disbursement of payments; calculate wages, and pay adjustments in the payroll process.
- Assist in review of the financial data from field stations by verifying the accuracy of information/support documentations and reasonableness of costs.
- Organize the financial document filing system for the county.
- Ensure payments are processed in a timely manner as per the payment schedule
- Communicate with finance clerks via email and phone to ensure information required for payments is captured and processed correctly
- Research and resolve any payroll or vendor payment issues
- Data entry on payroll and vendor registry
- Provide high level of customer service to all staff and external vendors of the organization
- Maintain strict confidentiality as it relates to all information.
- Aid in generating ad hoc reports from multiple financial systems
- Assist in verifying and processing of payments
- Perform other ad hoc projects duties as assigned by supervisor
- Ensure adherence to MOH and VL’s COVID 19 mitigation measures at all times.
Required minimum qualifications, skills and abilities
- Training in accounting/finance or its equivalent preferably CPA (K)
- Additional 1 year experience working as an account clerk in a busy professional environment
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency in English and Kiswahili.
- Knowledge of payroll processing and reporting
- Excellent levels of numeracy and computer literacy
- High accuracy and productivity
- Strong organizational skills
- Financial services operations or administrative experience a plus
- Must have the ability to multi-task
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel
- Strong presentation and facilitation skills
- Ability to use spreadsheets and other accounting software
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Willingness to reside within the Sub County of jurisdiction
- Willingness to work for 6 days in a week (Monday to Saturday).
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team-oriented setting
- All positions that involves a worker coming in contact or close contact with wet insecticides on daily basis will require a medical examination including general body examination and pregnancy tests. Those with certain medical conditions like chest problems, asthmatic, expectant etc. may be excluded or considered for other relevant roles they qualify for.
- These positions will be on a short term contract, not more than 2 months and/or on need basis and those who participated in previous campaigns will have an added advantage. Women are highly encouraged to apply for all roles.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are encouraged to send a cover letter and updated CV to KenyaJobs@abtassoc.com with the title of the position being applied for in the e-mail subject line specifying the work location preferred i.e. county and ward e.g. ‘Store keeper-Migori county – North Kamagambo’ by COB, October 30th, 2020.
Equal Opportunity Employer: As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm’s values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.