DryGro is an agriculture technology company working to revolutionise the market for animal feed protein.
Today, most animal feed protein comes from soybean meal. Most of the world’s soybeans are grown in the US, Brazil, and Argentina.
Protein demand is increasing, but the land required to grow soybeans in scarce. What got us through the 20th century won’t get us through the 21st.
We need better, more sustainable alternatives.
Founded at Oxford University in 2015, DryGro is developing cutting-edge growing systems to grow a soybean meal replacement crop called Lemna.
This technology builds upon recent advancements in vertical farming and horticulture systems, and allows for efficient, reliable production.
The Plant Science Research Assistant serves in a support role to the Plant Science Manager who runs DryGro’s day-to-day plant science and crop production activities at its production facility near Naivasha in Kenya.
These core plant science and crop production activities include running agronomic trials and managing the growth conditions of DryGro’s Lemna.
The Plant Science Research Assistant is expected to be an enthusiastic individual, ready to take on the challenges and opportunities that come with working for a startup.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in conducting experiments, including set-up, data collection, and basic data analysis
- Carry out routine tasks such as monitoring Lemna growth environments and sample processing
- Maintain a clean and orderly laboratory environment
- Ensure observation of good etiquette and safety for work in a research facility
- Provide laboratory management support
Communicate clearly and regularly with all members of the Plant Science Team
- Bachelor of Science in agronomy, plant science, plant breeding, agriculture, or related field from a reputable academic institution
- At least 1 years’ biological research experience at an academic institution, agriculture-related business, or government agency
- Technical literacy with Email, Whatsapp, Microsoft Excel and Word
- Fluent verbal and written language skills in Swahili and English
- High attention to detail and drive for excellence in quality
- Strong communication skills via a variety of mediums
- Ability to adapt to working in a culturally diverse environment
- Highly organised
- Excellent time-management
- Our team is motivated by the potential to mitigate the impacts of climate change and increase food security around the world.
- The Plant Science Manager role is core to our operations, playing a significant role in our development and in our ability to impact the world.
- Within this role, you will have the opportunity to work with an elite team of scientists and engineers.
- You will get exposure to a range of fields , and there are plenty of opportunities for skill development.
How to Apply
Apply for the Plant Science Research Assistant Job DryGro here.