ADVERTISEMENT OF POSITIONS IN THE GLOBAL OPPORTUNITY FOR LONG TERM DEVELOPMENT (GOLD) IN THE ARTISANAL SMALL SCALE GOLD MINING (ASGM) PROJECT
POSITION OF PROJECT MANAGER – ONE (1) POST
The Project Manager will be responsible for the overall management of the project, including the mobilization of all project inputs, Supervision over project staff, consultants and sub- contractors.
He/She will also be responsible for the overall day to day running of the project including overall coordination, planning, management, implementation, monitoring and evaluation and reporting of all project activities:
Term of Engagement: The position shall be on an initial twelve (12) months contract with possibility for extension.
Reporting to the National Project Director (NPD) at the Ministry of Environment and Forestry; and on a periodic basis to the Project Board, the Project Manager will:-
- Plan the activities of the project and monitor progress against the approved work- plan;
- Supervise and coordinate all project inputs; the production of project outputs, as per the project document in a timely and high quality fashion; while ensuring that these adhere to UNDP procedures for nationally executed project;
- Coordinate the recruitment and selection of project personnel, consultant and sub-contracts, including drafting terms of reference (TORs) and work specifications and overseeing all contractors work;
- Manage requests for the provision of financial resources by UNDP, through advance of funds, direct payments, or reimbursement using the UNDP format provided;
- Monitor financial resources and accounting to ensure accuracy and reliability of financial reports;
- Liaise with UNDP, Project Board, relevant government agencies and all project partners, including donor organizations and CSOs; for effective coordination of all project activities;
- Oversee and ensure timely submission of all financial reports, and other reports as may be required by UNDP, GEF and UNEP;
- Oversee the exchange and sharing of experiences and lessons learned with relevant ASGM projects nationally and Internationally;
- In collaboration with the GEF GOLD global component, identify opportunities for communication of project activity results at a global level on quarterly basis; and
- Assist community groups, municipalities, CSOs, Staff, Students and others with development of essential skills through training workshops and on the job training thereby increasing their institutional capabilities
Applicants must possess the following, in order to be considered for appointment to the position:-
- Bachelor’s degree; field from a recognized institution; in Environmental Science, Chemistry, Mining, Geology, Chemical Engineering or Chemical/ Biological Sciences or any other related
- degree field from a recognized institution; in Environmental Science, Chemistry, Mining, Geology, Chemical Engineering or Chemical/ Biological Sciences or in any other related field.
- PhD in any of the above ,or related fields; and
- Specialized training in toxic chemicals; and waste; and
- monitoring and evaluation;
In addition the applicant should have the following:
- At least ten (10) years’ experience in the implementation; management, monitoring and evaluation; of environmental projects;
- Five (5) of which (years) must have been in the Implementation of projects related to toxic chemicals;
- Experience in the implementation; management, monitoring and evaluation; of projects related to mercury; and ASGM; in particular;
- Proven experience in working with government ministries, national or county institutions that are concerned with natural resource and/ or environmental management.
Applicants should also have a demonstrated ability in the following:-
- Manage the implementation of large Multi-stakeholder projects,
- Manage technical and administrative teams, work with a wide range of stakeholders across various sectors and at all levels;
- Develop durable partnerships with collaborating agencies;
- Coordinate and supervise multiple Regional Project Officers ; and national and international consultants/experts, in their implementation of technical activities in partnership with a variety of sub-national stakeholder groups, including community and government;
- Demonstrate an understanding of government development priorities, policies, Financial and Accounting Regulations and Procedures
The Applicant should also demonstrate possession of:-
- Good computer application skills in common word processing (Ms Word), Spread Sheet ( Ms Excel) and internet search;
- Excellent drafting, presentation and report-writing skills;
- Excellent networking , interpersonal and communication skills;
- Good knowledge about the political and socio-economical context related to ASGM at the international, national and sub-national levels; and
- Excellent command of English and Kiswahili
How to Apply
GUIDELINES FOR APPLICATION
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW
- Download the specific job requirements for the positions from the Ministry of Environment and Forestry Website page environmment.go.ke, read this carefully as it lists the skills, knowledge and qualifications required.
- Fill in each section of the Bio – Data Form clearly in typed, block
- The Bio-Data Form must be accompanied with an Application Letter, detailed Curriculum Vitae, Certified Copies of Academic Certificates, National Identify Card, and
- All applications should be addressed to, The Cabinet Secretary, Ministry of Environment and Forestry, O. Box 30126, 00100 NAIROBI.
- In Submitting the applications, Applicants can;
- Email their applications, in Ms Word or PDF; to email@example.com with the position Title as the subject; or
- Drop a hard copy; in sealed envelope at the Ministry’s (Main) Registry on 13th Floor, NHIF Building, or Post a hard copy;
- With the position title clearly indicated at the left hand corner of the envelope.
- The closing date for all applications is 8th June, 2020 at close of business (5pm). Late applications shall NOT be considered
- The Ministry of Environment and Forestry is an Equal Opportunity employer: Women, Minorities, Marginalized and Persons Living with Disability (PWD) are encouraged to apply
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- Any form of canvassing will lead to Automatic disqualification