Location: Nairobi, KenyaDepartment: Data Analytics
Type: Full TimeMin. Experience: Mid Level
Data Associate – CrossBoundary Data Analytics
About the Firm
Founded in 2011, CrossBoundary is a mission-driven investment firm committed to unlocking the power of capital to make a substantial return while creating a lasting difference in frontier markets. We take a transaction-centered approach to frontier markets. CrossBoundary provides investment advisory services, having developed a specialized expertise in unleashing investment across all sectors in fragile and frontier markets. Our advisory clients include governments, development finance institutions, private equity firms, Fortune 100 companies, and research institutions. Learn more at www.crossboundary.com.
Investment and management decision-making in emerging markets are made challenging by the sparsity and fragmented nature of high-quality data. In response to this, CrossBoundary Data Analytics was established in 2020 to provide a suite of data analysis services to internal teams and external clients, leveraging innovative techniques and diverse datasets to plug information gaps. CrossBoundary Data Analytics enables data-driven due diligence processes, grounds market-sizing approaches in facts not assumptions, and helps companies draw insights from their data to thrive. CrossBoundary Data Analytics provides a unique offering through its combination of (i) in-market experience and on-ground presence, (ii) proprietary market and deal data, and (iii) high caliber team members with commercial / private-sector oriented data experience.
CrossBoundary is recruiting a full-time Data Associate. We are seeking candidates with experience working in data consultancy, with a background in the investment sector preferred.
CrossBoundary is not a development firm and is not seeking typical development skills. CrossBoundary Data Analytics combines domain expertise with advanced analytical methods and techniques to facilitate investment in frontier markets. As a Data Associate, you will be tasked with using data science to inform CrossBoundary’s work providing transaction support to both investors and capital seekers. Associate candidates should have 3+ years of experience working in high caliber data consulting organizations and ideally experience working in developing countries.
Who We Are
CrossBoundary operates in frontier markets that also hold immense investment opportunities. The CrossBoundary team is a unique group made up of people who are genuinely excited by the opportunity to make a difference in some of the most challenging yet exciting markets in the world. Team members come from diverse backgrounds, but share several qualities: curiosity, humility, integrity, a drive for excellence, and a bias for action.
Who You Are
- Self-starter who is passionate about creating lasting change in frontier markets
- Enthusiasm for growing a nascent business line within an established company
- Willingness to take on new types of work, even without prior experience or direct supervision
- Willingness to work and live in a sometimes-challenging environment
- Comfort with ambiguity; ability to operate effectively in a changing context
- Use data science approaches to advance CrossBoundary’s mission of facilitating investment in frontier markets, working with large, complex data sets to support Advisory projects as well as other CrossBoundary teams internally
- Develop creative new methods to use data for business and investment decision-making and strategy
- Contribute data science solutions to proposals for new work, both in collaboration with Advisory teams and for stand-alone data science consultancy opportunities
The Ideal candidate will have the following skills and qualifications:
- 3+ years of experience in top tier data consulting, or similar
- Programming experience in at least one of R, Python, SQL
- Experience in geospatial analysis, using ArcGIS or similar
- Experience applying data science methods to business problems, making use of predictive analytics, machine learning, and other areas of analysis
- Experience in applying advanced analytical and statistical methods in the commercial work
- Excellent analytical ability and discipline; ability to think clearly, structure problems logically, and then design and implement solutions that focus on the core issues
- Excellent presentation and communication skills; ability to communicate clearly and effectively with diverse audiences unfamiliar with data science
- Strong project management skills
- Bachelor’s degree required
Preferred skills and qualifications:
- Experience working in developing countries; experience in Africa is particularly relevant
- MSc, MBA, or other advanced degrees will be regarded favorably
Nairobi, Kenya (preferred); other global CrossBoundary offices will be considered
Equal Opportunity Employer
CrossBoundary is an equal opportunity employer
How To Apply Apply for the Data Associate Job here