Wednesday June 24, 2020 – Another fake multi-billion arms scandal has hit the country with the Interior Ministry headed by CS Fred Matiang’i being thrown into the mix.

According to reports, the new scandal, orchestrated by a Nairobi City lawyer, Jacob Oloo, and his team, fell apart after he tried to con his colleagues.

The fresh scandal has raised eyebrows after it was established that some of the suspects had participated in an earlier Ksh39 billion scandal in which former Sports Cabinet Secretary, Rashid Echesa, and Deputy President William Ruto were linked.

The victim in the new scandal is reportedly a firm based in Mali, Prenium Interservices, which had already parted with Ksh7.5 million as commitment fees as it prepared to supply 45,000 riffles and 15,000 pistols to the National Police Service.

According to documents seen by the media, Prenium had written a letter to the fraudsters after they presented themselves as officials from the Interior Ministry and the letter was copied to an alleged Police Commissioner, a post that was scrapped under the 2010 constitution.

“The effective delivery schedule of the 60,000 (45,000 riffles and 15,000 pistols) will be between four to six months,” read the letter dated May 20th.

Trouble reportedly started when the group fell out over the commitment fee in which the lawyer reportedly attempted to con his colleagues.

Oloo, who is a member of the Law Society of Kenya, rushed to Kasarani Police Station on June 2nd, claiming that his life was in danger and named John Maingi as the prime suspect.

In his report, the suspect did not describe how his life was in danger but left his car at the station noting that he feared that he will be trailed and murdered in cold blood.

A few days later, however, a person who claimed to work for the Kenya Defence Forces, showed up to pick the car on behalf of Oloo but did not have any documentation proving his position.

When the lawyer was reached out, he claimed that a group of men had stormed his house and held him, together with his girlfriend hostage.

This comes barely a year after the Directorate of Criminal Investigations unearthed a Ksh39 billion fake military arms deal that involved officials from the Office of the Deputy President.

Late on Wednesday evening, the Ministry of Interior, denied these claims and said they are a fabrication of the media.

The PS in charge of the Ministry, Karanja Kibicho, said, “our Ministry has never been aware of the fake tender reported in one of the local dailies. If true, we condemn the dubious practices reported in the article & advise members of the public to be wary of such fraudsters. Procurement in government is an open & transparent process.”

Here is the full statement he released to Kenyans

The Kenyan DAILY POST


Leave a Reply