Position: Projects Administrative Officer
Report to: Director of Public Policy & Communications
The African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP) is a regional non-profit research and policy Institute established in 2010 to help bridge the gaps between research, policy and practice in development efforts in Africa. Our primary purpose is to contribute to sustainable development through using evidence and advocacy to strengthen political commitment and resource allocation for development issues; informing the design and implementation of effective interventions; and strengthening governance and accountability structures for tracking development challenges in Africa. AFIDEP is registered as a Non-Governmental Organisation in both Kenya and Malawi (where it has offices) and as a non-profit institution in the USA with 501(c)3 status. For further details about AFIDEP and its work refer to http://www.afidep.org.
AFIDEP is looking to recruit two experienced and energetic persons to fill in the position of Projects Administrative Officer, one based in the Kenya Office and the other based in the Malawi office. The position is for an initial fixed-term of 2 years, renewable, based on performance, relevance of the role, and availability of funds.
In Kenya, the role will report to the Director of Public Policy & Communications, and in Malawi, the role will report to the Director of Research & Head of Malawi Office. The role will entail providing support including administration, monitoring project budgets and tracking project implementation, and coordination of project team meetings, under the respective offices of the two Directors, all in a bid to enhance efficiency and service delivery both to the Directors, internal and external clients. The holder of this role will be effective at planning, coordination, communication, and monitoring in their work, and should be able to work well under pressure.
1. Projects Management and Administration
- Track the implementation of all projects under the Director’s leadership and provide early alerts on implementation challenges.
- Identify synergies between projects to maximise efficiencies in time and cost.
- Create and maintain a database of all project documents.
- Liaise with Finance to monitor project budgets and provide quarterly reports of burn rate.
- Maintain project calendars, coordinate meetings, and follow-up on actions points.
- In consultation with project managers and project coordinators, prepare consolidated monthly reports on the projects and PowerPoint presentations as required.
2. Administrative support to the Director office
- Work closely and effectively with the respective Director to keep her well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately.
- Manage an extremely active calendar of appointments; assist in composing correspondence.
- Make project travel arrangements as and when required; compile documents for meetings; complete travel expense reports.
- Provide technical and administrative support for the Director’s effective contribution to Board functions and meetings, as well as, to the Senior Management Team functions and meetings.
- Masters’ degree in social sciences or development studies with at least 3 years’ work experience in a project officer role, or project management.
- Project management training, with hands-on skills and experience in using project management software.
- Practical hands-on experience in project management in an international organization implementing multiple projects.
- Budget tracking.
- Proficient user of MS Office (particularly Excel and PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of best practices and industry standards for project management.
- Knowledge of international development or a demonstrated interest in poverty-related issues.
- Experience in proposal writing, finance or accounting knowledge is an added advantage.
- Advanced communication and writing skills in English (skills in French desirable).
- Excellent organizational skills, multi-tasking, and administration.
- Meticulous and effective at planning and monitoring work, and be able to work well under pressure.
- Excellent interpersonal and effective team management skills, and collaboration across multiple functions and teams.
- The ability to understand and support the needs of diverse projects across an organization.
- Technological skills for digital databases management.
How to apply
Candidates meeting the above qualifications MUST email:
1) A motivation letter illustrating their suitability against the listed qualifications/competencies and skills
2) Updated CV including three relevant referees
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 30th June 2020 with the title either “PROJECTS ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER – AFIDEP KENYA” or “PROJECTS ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER – AFIDEP MALAWI” as the email subject. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. This is a re-advertisement. Candidates who had initially applied should not re-apply.
AFIDEP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.