Download our blog’s APP from Google Playstore using the link here>>>
About the Role
You will lead the accounting department at WeTu, driving full visibility and accuracy of all our financial information to help inform key decisions in our fast-growing, ambitious and innovative business. You will manage and build a small but strong accounting team to ensure that all financial procedures are adhered to in all our hubs and that we are fully compliant at all times.
Success in this role will mean smooth and efficient internal financial, stock, reporting and accounting processes to enable each team member to excel in their work towards business growth. Our ideal candidates has a track record of providing accurate and effective work in a busy sales-driven organization and a passion for improving rural lives.
Location of employment is Kisumu with regular travel across the lake region.
- Overall management of the accounting department by ensuring timely reporting and efficient delivery of service.
- Strengthen the department overall by contributing to review of policies and procedures and making and implementing suggestions for improvements.
- Manage, train and develop the accounts assistant and interns as the team grows over time.
- Prepare, review and report on budgets for business expansion projections, new initiatives or donor projects.
- Ensure documentation of all financial transactions in the company by handling and later supervising the posting and entering of transactions into the accounting system.
- Oversee tracking and reporting of all sales revenues
- Liaise with hub teams daily and ensure revenues are correctly tracked and posted.
- Ensure sales and VAT are recorded correctly is in each hub and ETRs are issued as required to prepare for correct and smooth VAT filing each month.
- Carry out bank reconciliations to ensure sales reports tally moneys received.
- Conduct physical checks on accounting and stock keeping at all hubs (regular & spot checks).
- Inventory management: Liaise with the hub operators and field agents regularly to monitor lanterns inventory. Handle any insurance claims for breakages, faults or losses.
- Ensure integrity of all accounting ledgers by regular analysis of the trial balance. Monitor and review accounting and related system reports for accuracy and completeness regularly.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports for donor funded projects.
- Prepare and process payroll, ensuring accuracy and correct statutory remittances.
- Petty cash management: Review petty cash payments as per the finance policy and ensure all petty cash is accounted for, liaising with the various petty cash folders ensuring a smooth process for everyone.
- Manage supplier payments in line with policy and ensuring tax compliance and correct documentation.
- Ensure that manual filing systems are maintained.
- Lead the annual audit by preparing the final accounts and audit schedules and responding to audit queries. Lead other external audits such as statutory audits.
- You share our vision and drive to provide solutions in the areas of water, power and mobility with the aim of improving living standards in rural Kenya through business approaches.
- You have at least 3-5 years of experience as an accountant in a reputable organization.
- You have worked in a high-volume sales driven branch-based environment and navigate sales reconciliations, ETRs, VAT and inventory with ease. Experience in a social-impact driven business environment, such as a social enterprise is welcome.
- You have successfully handled a wide range of responsibilities within accounting, including payroll, bank reconciliations, posting supplier invoices and managing accounts payable, reconciling and auditing petty cash, statutory requirements etc.
- Deep knowledge of accounting software applications is required, past experience with Xero is an added advantage.
- Strong understanding of filing statutory requirements (NHIF, NSSF, PAYE) and experience navigating iTax and related arising matters.
- Ability to analyze financial data, examine and explain variances and prepare financial reports, statements and projections.
- Previous experience managing donor grants is welcome but not required.
- You are organized with impeccable attention to detail. You are energized by ensuring that numbers, data and documents are handled to perfection.
- Strong interest to understand rural realities and gel with our hub teams. You are ready to travel across rural locations, with overnight stays in often simpler accommodation options.
- You are a strong communicator with interpersonal skills: You are outgoing and friendly and know how to engage with non-finance colleagues, training them to follow finance procedures.
- You don’t mind long hours on the computer, have strong IT skill and interest learning and using new softwares.
- You have been involved in the external audit process.
- You have high integrity, honesty and are proactively talk about arising challenges and mistakes made.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance or related field from a recognized institution.
- Holder of CPA-K and member of ICPAK in good standing.
You fit with our culture at WeTu if:
- You learn fast and adapt quickly to new demands.
- You are a self-motivated person who solves arising problems efficiently.
- You are excited about moving a social enterprise forward and to implement state of the art technology and business models.
- You excel in an intercultural and international team.
Why work with us?
- Steep learning curve: We are a small team so you are involved and exposed to all business, finance and admin matters across the board. You will also engage with the Directors in Germany directly.
- Exposure to innovation: Working on new technologies and cutting-edge projects is exciting.
- You are part of driving socio-economic development in Homa Bay, Migori and Siaya County.
- Work in a value-led organization where we care for each other, our team and provide what you need to excel in your work.
The role is based in Kisumu. Our Hubs are spread around the lake region and local travel is required at times. Ideal start date is August 2020 or earlier. At time, working hours might extend if time-sensitive projects arise. We are looking for candidates who want to grow with us and are ready to commit to at least two to three years. There is a six month probation period and we will agree on performance and learning objectives.
Interested female candidates are encouraged to apply.
How To Apply
- Read this candidate guide with tips on our selection process: http://bit.ly/CandidatesGuide
- Any questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Apply through the application form under this link: http://bit.ly/WeTuAccounting
- You will be asked to upload your CV as part of the application form. Make sure it is in PDF format, no longer than 3 pages and relevant to this role.
- The selection process will include interviews, written case study exercises and a visit to one of the hubs for finalists.
Recruitment process in partnership with edge.