Thursday June 25, 2020 – The Government of President Uhuru Kenyatta has assured traders who lost their valuables during a fire outbreak at Gikomba market that they will be compensated.

Speaking when he toured the torched Gikomba market, Interior Principal Secretary, Karanja Kibicho, also assured traders that the perpetrators of the costly incident will be traced and punished.

Kibicho noted that he was certain that the fire was not accidental and his officers had launched an inquiry into the incident with a view of exposing perpetrators for prosecution.

 “We as the Government do not think these fire are natural.”

“We believe there are people who think by evacuating traders from this place they will get land to development.”

“I want to assure the country that Gikomba will remain public land and we will protect it,” said Kibicho.

Kbicho noted that 399 households had been affected by the inferno and the government will compensate them to enable them to continue with their lives.

To ensure the market place is secure and such instances do not occur again, the PS said plans were underway to erect a parameter wall around it.

“The 399 households affected by the Gikomba Market fire will receive Government support.”

“We also have plans to erect a parameter walls around this place which we expect to be ready in approximately 3 months.”

“Gikomba shall also have a borehole.’ he added.

Gikomba has been recording cases of fire outbreaks almost every year, a habit that has attracted the rage of traders and Kenyans at large.

The Kenyan DAILY POST

Leave a Reply