Vacancy Announcement: Finance Intern
About Mercy Corps: Mercy Corps is a non-profit, non-governmental organization based in Portland, Oregon in the United States of America doing humanitarian, relief and development work globally.
Since 1979, Mercy Corps has provided more than US$1.95 billion in assistance to people in 107 nations. Supported by headquarters offices in North America and Europe, the agency’s unified global programs employ 3,700 staff worldwide and reach nearly 16.7 million people in more than 40 countries.
General Program Summary: Mercy Corps’ AgriFin Program seeks to address the inclusion gap for smallholder farmers who lack access to affordable, accessible, demand-driven products and services that drive higher productivity and income for farm families.
The AgriFin program utilizes a market ecosystem approach, working with carefully selected partners to build sustainable models, where farm and crop management tools and financial services are “bundled” in affordable, unified platforms leveraging digital channels to promote mass uptake commercially.
The program involves three interrelated components that seek to address low farmer productivity and capability, and improve institutional ability to deliver appropriate products and build ecosystems to drive scale. We work with farmers, banks, mobile network operators, MFIs, research institutes and other ecosystem players in well-defined partnerships to sustainably bundle services, leveraging the offer and outreach of all partners, while increasing the range of services, access points and value for farmers.
The program works with partners to identify, prototype, test and scale successful digitally-enabled services for smallholders, with a key focus on expanding access to financial services, using a rapid iteration approach to product development and client-centric design techniques.
Our project goal is for smallholder farmers to gain full access to impactful, demand-driven, technology-enabled financial products, tools, channels and knowledge that significantly increase farm productivity and family income, delivered by vibrant ecosystems of diverse service providers.
Program operations are taking place five countries anchored around a central “Hub” office in Kenya, expanding to serve Tanzania, Zambia, Nigeria, and Ethiopia, with potential to expand to other Mercy Corps countries, globally.
The AgriFin program operates in five African countries (Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, Ethiopia and Nigeria) utilizing a market ecosystem approach, working with carefully selected partners to build sustainable models, where farm and crop management tools and financial services are “bundled” in affordable, unified platforms on mobile phone channels to promote mass uptake commercially, with the goal of bringing services to one million smallholder farmers.
We are presently looking for a committed and dynamic graduate trainee to take up the position of a Finance Intern.
General Position Summary: The Finance intern will support the work of Finance functions of the AgriFin Program Office in Nairobi. Working closely with Program, Operations and Finance, the Finance intern is instrumental in supporting program activities through his/her services.
The intern will work under the supervision of the Finance Manager
Internship Assignment Responsibilities:
1. Assist in developing and maintaining an effective filing, archiving and record keeping systems both (hard copy & electronically) according to MC procedures.
2. Prepare photocopies and scans of vouchers and other supporting documents required for HQ and donor reporting.
3. Assist in ensuring proper documentation of payment vouchers and all other supporting documents.
4. Assist in ensuring efficient, timely and accurate recording, payment and tracking of accounts payable.
5. Assist in management of the office cash and office cash levels as per the office Cash Management Policy.
6. Maintain the cash advance tracking sheet, follow up on un-cleared advances and ensure advances are reconciling with general ledger records.
7. Assist in preparing and processing bank payments via checks.
8. Assist in preparing payment vouchers ensuring proper documentation and recording to accounting system on daily basis.
9. Assist in monthly amortization entries of prepaid accounts, account maintenance and reconciliations as part of month end closeout process.
10. Assist with audit related requirements.
11. Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
12. Other duties as assigned.
The intern will:
- Gain experience in Finance and accounting Processes
- Gain experience in time management
- Learn communication skills
Reports Directly To: Finance Manager
Supervisory Responsibility: None
Works Directly With: Operations and Program Team
Knowledge and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or any related field
- CPA (II) qualification will be an added advantage
- A good team player
- A good sense of humor
Success Factors: The ideal candidate will have a strong curiosity for understanding. S/he will be an excellent communicator, multi-tasker, and able to work in ambiguous situations. S/he will be a tolerant and flexible individual able to work in difficult and stressful environments and follow procedures.
S/he will be a team-player with a positive attitude toward problem solving and conflict resolution. The successful candidate will be focused on team-building; be a strategic thinker, have strong skills in project management and maintain a sense of humor.
Mercy Corps interns and volunteers represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above required qualifications and experience should submit a cover letter, detailed curriculum vitae (CV) listing three professional referees (including a recent supervisor) to email@example.com on or before Tuesday 26th May 2020 by 5.00pm.
The email subject line must clearly show the job title.
Applications without the right subject heading will be automatically disqualified.
Please do not attach anycertificates.
(Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We will only get in touch with shortlisted candidates)
NB: Mercy Corps AgriFin Program does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process