The Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) is a State Corporation established in Kenya in 1979 through the Science and Technology (Repealed) Act, Cap 250 of the Laws of Kenya and as currently established and dully accredited to continue to operate as such under the Science Technology and Innovation Act, 2013 as the national body responsible for carrying out research in human health in Kenya. KEMRI’s vision is “to be a leading centre of excellence in human health research” and its mission is “to improve human health and quality of life through research, capacity building and service delivery”.
KEMRI seeks to recruit dynamic, innovative and experienced persons to fill the following positions: –
Assistant Principal Research Scientist
Terms of Service: The appointment is on permanent and pensionable terms.
JOB GROUP: KMR 4
The duties and responsibilities of the officer will entail: –
- Providing day to day guidance in a specialized laboratory or given field of study;
- Establishing a specific line of research including writing grant applications to maintain the specified research projects;
- Providing full supervisory responsibility for junior professional and technical staff attached to his/her research projects,
- Monitoring and directing the specified research projects,
- Guiding training and development of staff and students attached to his/her research projects;
- Making a significant contribution in devising and planning work and defining research priorities.
For appointment to this grade, a candidate must have: –
- At least eight (8) years relevant work experience;
- Bachelor’s Degree in any of the following disciplines: – Biomedical Sciences, Analytical Chemistry, Applied Sciences, Public Health, any relevant Social Science, or equivalent qualifications from a recognized institution;
- Master’s Degree in any of the following disciplines: – Biomedical Sciences, Analytical Chemistry, Applied Sciences, Public Health, any relevant Social Science, or equivalent qualifications from a recognized institution;
- Doctorate degree in any of the following disciplines: – Biomedical Sciences, Analytical Chemistry, Applied Sciences, Public Health, any relevant Social Science, or equivalent qualifications from a recognized institution;
- Developed at least twelve (12) proposals, six (6) of which have been funded;
- Published at least six (6) articles in refereed journals with at least three (3) article as the first or lead author;
- Management Course lasting not less than four (4) weeks from a recognized institution;
- Proficiency in computer application; and
- Fulfil the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution.
Key Skills and Competences
- Strategic thinking;
- Proposal writing skills;
- Analytical skills;
- Creativity and Innovativeness;
- Critical thinking skills
- Research fundraising skills
- Communication and reporting skills
- Interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Team player
How To Apply
The following will be required during the interviews: –
- Certificate of good conduct,
- Higher Education Loans Board compliance certificate,
- KRA Tax compliance certificate,
- Credit Reference Bureau clearance certificate,
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission clearance.
Kindly attach your
- cover letter,
- copies of certified academic and professional certificates,
- testimonials and other relevant documents.
All the applications to be done through http://www.kemri.org on or before 18th May 2020 by 5.00 p.m